5 Must Health Checks for Women No One Should Ignore
As a responsible individual, everyone must make time for regular exercises. A little physical workout can be an excellent stress buster. Along with that, you’ve to pick a balanced, healthy diet. As far as the women are concerned, going for some routine health screenings is also a must in addition to the activities mentioned above. These routine health screenings help detecting potential health issues at the initial stages.
But what exactly are those health check for woman that you should undergo? Read on to know more....
Routine health screenings that you should undergo
- Blood pressure: There’s a new convention in the medical world. Now, doctors are saying if your blood pressure is lower than 120/80 (which is the ideal in any able-bodied adult) you must go for your BP screening once every 6 months.
- Cholesterol: Cholesterol screening is in fact a tool to assess your risk level in developing a heart attack or a stroke. For adults above 20 years, cholesterol check is must once in every 5 years, provided your cholesterol level is lower than 200 mg per deci litre (mg/dl). If it ranges between 200 and 239 mg/dl, then you’re at high risk.
- Pap smears: Every woman within the age group of 21 and 65 need to undergo a Pap test in every three years, provided the reports don’t indicate any complexity. The test typically involves a speculum to penetrate in the vaginal canal to take some sample of the cervical cells. This diagnosis helps detecting cervical cancer. Women at or above 30 can combine this test with HPV screening and take them once in every five years.
- Mammograms: Mammogram is another vital element in any well woman health checkup programme. It is a test to screen breast cancer. The breasts are compressed against the X-ray plate to capture the image. Although mammograms are notorious for not giving the correct results, yet this is the only methodology that the ongoing version of technology allows to screen breast cancer. Starting from the age of 40, you should undergo this health screening in a routine manner, once every 2 years. However, if there’s history of the disease in your family, consult your doctor to start the screening earlier.
- Screening for bone density: Osteoporosis is another common disease that affects a large number of women. Even women from the advanced nations of Europe and America suffer from it. By the age of 65 you must start having this test. If you suffer from low body weight or went through bone fracture in the past, you must start taking this screening much earlier. According to the medical jargon, the test is called a DEXA scan. You simply lie on a table and the X-ray machine captures the images of your bones from a pretty close range.
In addition to the ones discussed above, colon cancer screening and blood glucose test are two crucial health check for women. Take these tests and stay longer, stronger and fitter than your friends and peers.